Mixety Mix

School starts again tomorrow--it feels sometimes as if my whole life has been a long series of repetitions of schools restarting. This blog certainly has had a lot of schools restarting in it--considering I've been in school for quite awhile, that's understandable. And with two semesters a year, you'd think I'd get used to having school restart and end by now; but I haven't. It's still change, however expected, and will still take some readjusting to.

I spent pretty much most of the weekend with family: most of Saturday and nearly all of Sunday. But I'm getting ahead of myself--there's at least 2 days undocumented between the last post and Saturday, so I shall get to them.

Let me see. The last post was Wednesday, the day on which Herr Robson moved out of the hostel where he'd been squatting and into the room which he is currently renting, outside the campus; it costs him about SGD260 a month, and is a rather cramped little space--not at all to my liking, but I suppose one has to settle for what one can get in these times. Accommodation, basic need though it be, has never been value for money. Wednesday was a quite relaxed day, I should say, unless I've totally forgotten what actually happened that day.

On Thursday, as I recall, I had to wake early (naturally, Goalkeeper woke earlier) because there were things to do. Campus Crusade does this every year--we spread publicity about ourselves to the freshmen at large through distribution of foolscaps (everybody loves a free foolscap) together with surveys and things, and of course to distribute them you need to pack 'em in little plastic wrappers first (for ease of transport) and then you need people to go around distributing the things, and people to carry around pens for people to do the surveys with. I was part of the workforce this year. We spent the morning forming assembly lines, as we called them, to pack the foolscaps and a small brochure into plastic wrappers and then to seal them (the sealing part was the bottleneck); and then in the afternoon, around lunch or so, we headed out to distribute them in teams (there were two, both heading to different places at different times). My team managed to distribute about 450 or so, which was quite a lot. The extra packed plastic bags (to be used later) got bundled up in brown paper wrappings and put in Goalkeeper's room, and there's a whole stack of 'em behind me at this moment.

Which reminds me: Goalkeeper and I moved again (that's a lot of moving in the past three months!), and now are in a newly-renovated room. We spent Friday afternoon to evening doing it, since he was busy in the morning and I was asleep, only having woken up around 9 or 10 or something like that--actually much earlier than usual, given that my natural waking time is something like 11am to 12pm. It was very sweaty work and tiring; thank heavens we'd got access to a trolley owned by Crusade (remember those stacks of foolscaps in brown paper? They didn't exactly get there by hand-carrying) and so we moved most of the heaviest stuff that way, after sweeping and mopping the room to Goalkeeper's comfort zone: he's a little more careful about hygiene than I am, but the room (when we first looked at it) was too dusty even for me.

On Saturday I met the parents in the morning for the second wedding of an old family friend (he's known my parents since before I was born), which took me about 1.5 hours of travelling to get to; then there was a three-hour meeting with the Crusade committee which I am a part of this year; and then I went to the wedding dinner, because a guest had suddenly become unable to make it and so there was a spare place if I wanted it (and I did). The wedding dinner was lovely, but a little slow--they served one course every half an hour and I was still achingly hungry at 10.30pm (the dinner had started at around 8pm). I left around 11pm (just after the second-last course had been eaten), but arrived at the room at close to 1am due to the difficulty of getting a taxi at that time.

On Sunday I went to church with the parents, and then spent the entire day with them (the Gobbler joined us after his church service too); we went around, did a lot of walking, became extremely tired, and eventually we had dinner and split up--I returned to the room at around 11pm yesterday, completely tired out.

And tomorrow is the first day of classes (for tomorrow they'll be 3.30pm to 5.30pm), and after that is a Crusade meeting. How time goes!

Comments

Sanji desu! said…
Well, good luck with class.

You got loads of stuff to do eh? How I envy you. >.<
>.> the bored envies the busy, and the busy envies the bored... hahaha

Popular posts from this blog

Next Last Post

Memoriam the Second

Panthera Sapiens: A Pie ('Nuff Said about that)