Getting High on Soundwaves

It's a whole new year now. Whee. Pop the crackers and set off the fireworks, it's gonna be a lovely new time for all and sundry, or at least it would be if the world was ideal... which it obviously isn't, just yet. At any rate it's still a New Year and I suppose there's people all over the place drawing up lists and lists of resolutions to abandon after 2 weeks, but I guess they did at least try.

Tardy, yes, I know. The new year's been here for all of 12 hours and I've only just posted, but in my defense I was asleep for the past 9 hours or so and the 3 hours before that were spent on a couple forums and chatting on the phone (it was an incoming call, so it was free for me) until the call was mysteriously interrupted and I went to sleep. And besides, I'd only just gotten back from an outing with Brain Rink and Clay Sister.

Clay Sister has been visiting for the past two or three days; in fact he arrived on the 28th, but I only met him on the 30th since I got back on the evening of the 29th and was too tired to meet him. But I should get everything in order before I forget and get hopelessly jumbled up...

I came back on the 29th, leaving KL at 10am. The Coconut was supposed to come along, really, to meet a friend she'd met over MapleStory, but her mom called me one morning to cancel it. I guess moms will always be nervous about letting their daughters run off to another country to meet a friend they've never seen in real life... but the Coconut is decidedly sour about it at the moment, and I've not seen her online at all except for a few minutes the other day so... oh well.

I arrived at my hostel around 5pm (one hour earlier than expected) and immediately shot off a bunch of SMSes to people whom I thought might be likely to be in Singapore. Unfortunately none of them were apart from Brain Rink. And I've got a new roommate; the old one apparently moved in with some other friends, and now my new roommate is a guy from North of the River, China (a literal translation!) who speaks English in two- or three-word chopped-up sentences with a lisp, which makes him rather difficult for me to understand.

And of course, he doesn't really get my speech either. At least I can still speak Mandarin, so that's how we generally communicate. He seems to be relatively eager to make friends though, so I guess it'll be OK eventually. Hopefully... although I must admit the toilet's not at all clean; it appears that this semester, I shall have to do the domestic duties, such as they are.

In any case, the past two days have been full of Brain Rink and Clay Sister; taking the latter around with the help of the former, and generally watching him spend money like water--Bruneians really are rich people, I think--on presents for all and sundry. He got me a nice pendant though; a Quincy pentacle, which I wore to the club last night and which I really, really like because it's Quincy. And it's shiny, shiny!

(I think I'm part magpie, the way I gravitate to shiny stuff.)

And last night was New Year's Eve. We went to some really posh country club where Brain Rink was performing--she's a singer in a little band, which as far as I know consists of her, her uncle, and a fat gay dude (gay as in attracted to other men--she told us)--and she decided that we might as well be there.

Her gig was at 8 plus however; and I met Clay Sister at around 3pm, so we went shopping for Christmas presents and some clothes: he bought himself a long-sleeved formal shirt for the night and various little things for everybody else, including said shiny pentacle pendant for me. Then we went to my room, where he went to sleep because he'd only had 6 hours of sleep (midnight to 6am, when he woke for some unknown reason) and I went online because he's so wide that once he lay down on the mattress, it was entirely taken up and I couldn't sleep on the floor, now could I? Or on him either, since his handphone was on his belly and I didn't want to crush it.

We bought one rather cool toy; Toys'R'Us sells these little gun-like contraptions that change voices. You speak into one end and it somehow makes a different voice come out the other end. And you can even choose between Alien, Spaceman, and Robot (we both preferred Alien and Robot) voices. It was very nice. And we knew it was there because we'd gone there the day before and gotten a telescope for him and a Magic 8 Ball, which we kept asking random questions of.

Such as: "Is this ball reliable?" to which the ball answered "Cannot tell you now, ask again later." Or: "Is [PantheraSapiens] homosexual?" to which the answer--six times in a row!--was "Hazy, try again some other time"... and then when asked "Is [Clay Sister] homosexual?" the ball immediately came up with "Decidedly yes."

I believe Brain Rink laughed for a solid 5 minutes off that one.

In any case we went to this country club last night for their New Year's Eve party where Brain Rink was performing. It's quite a nice place, near the northern end of Singapore, so I could see the Causeway from the quayside and we kept having our phones change the provider from SingTel to Celcom to Maxis (those three companies, I think, have an agreement whereby their signals can intermix) since we were so close to the border. Poor Clay Sister kept trying to get a SingTel signal (he bought a temporary prepaid card) and went positively hyper when he finally succeeded--but it turned out to be too weak to send so much as an SMS.

It was quite a time; I've got videos of the time when the gay dude pulled Clay Sister up onstage to sing Brain Rink a sappy love song and Clay Sister got terribly embarrassed and sweaty, and then he took revenge by videotaping when the club's manager's wife got semi-drunk and came wobbling over to pull me out to dance with her. Silver D has seen that video, and she agrees that my style hasn't improved one whit: I'm just standing and swaying in the video while the woman bops up and down all over the place.

Still, I've got the advantage since the gay dude told the whole club, through the microphone, that Clay Sister is a hunk (well, he is kinda broad--I blame the rugby and jogging) and I can use that anytime I need to--well, I could if he hadn't threatened me with possible painful death. *grin*

I think I got somewhat drunk last night off the music. It was stuff with very powerful bass beats, the kind that pounds through the ground and make you think your phone's vibrating when actually everything is too. And since Brain Rink had seated Clay Sister and I right in front of the speakers, we got the first-row treatment and got quite blasted away whenever she yelled the high notes. (In her defense, she's a pretty good singer, really.) Whatever the reason, I'm pretty sure there wasn't any alcohol in the coffee or the fruit juices, so the sound is the only possible explanation for the insanely happy mood I was in last night.

Well, either that or the effect of watching Clay Sister bumble around onstage was more pervasive than I'd thought.

Well then... it's the New Year now. I wonder if I should make a resolution of some sort.

Comments

Joshua said…
Cool..that gay dude must have had lotsa fun..XD glad he didn't choose you to dance with him huh..

Popular posts from this blog

Next Last Post

Memoriam the Second

Panthera Sapiens: A Pie ('Nuff Said about that)