"...Therefore, Revenge is Ice Cream"

After all, it's sweet and best served cold and not terribly good for anybody's health. It's one of those quotes I Googled and couldn't find any one source for, though perhaps attempting to find the origins of a witty phrase one comes across in the comments section of a webcomic through Google is a doomed enterprise in itself.

It's Monday! Monday mourning. I mean morning. Either way of spelling it seems to work...

It's also been about 12 days since my last post, and for the life of me it doesn't seem like the past 12 days were terribly eventful, though I'm sure they were; I've been tired and sleepy and twice last week I slept before 11pm, which is a rare occurrence in itself. But then lately I find myself getting tired earlier than I used to, and waking before the alarm, which should be taken as more alarming than a seismic rumble in Christchurch. (That's probably an ill-chosen simile.)

And, of course, there's little more than a month remaining until the final report of the final year project (I can never decide if that phrase needs capitalisation or a hyphen, and even if it did I'd never figure out where to put either) and it's... ongoing, is the term I always use to describe it to people who ask, because that's the best way to say it; I wouldn't say we're making leaps in progress, but we're not exactly stagnant--right now we're in the repetitive motion phase of the project where we just keep doing the same things over and over and take records and see what turns up. And then we'll write down whatever we have in the report.

Which just reminded me that I should look at a few journals, or bring them to school, to doublecheck a few things. So perhaps blogging does have its uses--i.e. in the process of documenting things, one is reminded of things that need remembering... which I just did, of course, only to find that the journals don't seem to have mentioned at all the kind of thing I was hoping to find, which means more Googling sometime in the afternoon. Perhaps I should do this kind of self-reminding more often.

It's been an interesting two weeks, in that regard, I suppose; one learns new things all the time. As a lecturer in KTAR said--and this is one of the few things I remember from his lectures, because he repeated it practically every lecture--"Every day you learn something new!" Which is true, if one keeps one's eyes and ears open. "Remember why the good Lord made your eyes/ So don't shade your eyes", go the (very out-of-context!) lines from a Tom Lehrer song. And of course sometimes the learning can't be avoided, like when one is in school or in church or whatnot--well, admittedly one can still avoid learning in those cases, with a little effort.

In that regard I suppose the final year project has been about as educational as any module--not that the knowledge of the project will be useful beyond this semester or so except in rare circumstances, oh no; but the methodologies, the skills, the pursuit of knowledge! I was ranting a little bit yesterday, I think, about that; this probably stems from my childhood, in which I was never very good at separating fact from fiction and actually believed in mutants and magic and all that kind of thing--I treated X-Men with the kind of seriousness that most people reserve for documentaries, and I think my current baseline cynicism is from finding out that the world is really a lot more ho-hum than that, and yet at the same time is massively interesting if you look at it properly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next Last Post

Memoriam the Second

Panthera Sapiens: A Pie ('Nuff Said about that)