Sleeplack Grammarwrite

I have just... well, not quite just... I have been awake for about 1.5 hours at this point, having gotten about five hours of sleep. You're unlikely to be able to do the math, seeing as how this post will show up at different times on either Blogspot or on Facebook (someday I think I will actually just start using one and find some way to share posts other than through Facebook Notes--just keeping the link to this blog in the profile should be more than adequate for those who actually want to read it), and so I'll tell you I slept this morning at around 6am.

It's surprising how the symmetry of life works, isn't it? I've gone through the whole cycle of see-be amused-be bored-be annoyed with that email about how babies just want to not poop in their clothes and children want to be with their families and so on and eventually old people just want to be with their families and very old people just want to not poop in their clothes; also that one about how life should go backwards... but all that is just to say that in my final semester of my university education I'm finding myself doing again all the things I used to do in my very first semester--meet new people through other people, stay up into the wee hours chatting, sleep when the birds start singing, and wake up much much later than the parents would approve of. I wonder how the Corn and the Emoticon are doing--I've got the one on Facebook, but don't talk to at all, and the other's apparently dropped off the face of the earth entirely. It makes me wonder if, in four years, I'll be saying the same thing about the people I currently know and like. I wouldn't be surprised... History repeats itself. One thing that's definitely changed, though? It's not a new realisation--I'm sure I've mentioned it before--the names of other people are few and far between in occurrence on the blog now. So much so that there no longer is a Characters Page--everybody on the page was last mentioned, what, several months, even years ago?

It may be something to do with my outlook on life and people; so many of them have come and gone and passed through my life, and so few of them make reappearances--or the reappearances are so infrequent, and so fleeting... I know there's a pithy saying about not wanting to care about individuals that goes along the lines of "not even God is that busy".

I must run; today is going to be a rushed day for me. I shall finish this post off sometime.

later
Well, I'm back, all sated and tired and full; I don't think I've eaten quite this much since the post-SPM prom night--if not in terms of absolute quantity, then at least in terms of how bloated I felt after eating: I've never quite felt like I would throw up if I swallowed another bite since then, and today... ah, today, full of so much good food that it was such a shame to let any of it become leftovers--chicken and fish and vegetables and fruits and ice-cream and brownies and chapatti and rendang and tofu and yellow rice (I think it may have been nasi briyani, but I'm not certain) and so much more, if I only had a stomach large enough to take it all.

(There are certain to be people who look at that and go he certainly doesn't need to start wishing for a bigger appetite! though. Such is my reputation. On the other hand, at least three people have commented that my face has gotten narrow or that I appear to have lost weight, despite the scales speaking to the contrary, so maybe my habit of occasionally skipping meals is turning out to have some useful side-effects.)

But today was good; the five baptisms and their testimonies--as always one finds that the most moving testimonies come from people who didn't grow up in a church environment and so they don't know the styles and formats; not that the formats are a bad thing, but having that artlessness in it makes them all the more disarming and easy to pay attention to; not to mention, of course, that they tend to have the more dramatic changes in their lives... At any rate baptisms are always pretty charged events and decidedly draining ones, too; everybody was yawning on the bus on the way back.

And of course I didn't go back--I headed over to a friend's house, one of the team I went to Cambodia with, because two of the Cambodians are in Singapore for a visit (I never did quite get around to asking what exactly for) and the team was planning to get back together for a chat and dinner and suchlike; as things turned out I arrived just in time for dinner--well, not quite: they waited for me to start dinner--but at any rate we had dinner, a sumptuous affair with the aforementioned foods, and then desserts and more desserts--the first were fruits and then, apparently to balance out the healthiness, brownies in ice-cream (Very Rocky Road and Mocha Something!) and chocolate syrup and sparklies (which nobody took any of, and I would've said something about not wanting my brownies to turn vampiric on me if I weren't busy mashing it up into a ...mash for easier eating).

So now you know my today; the past two weeks haven't been terribly eventful. Classes are ending; the final year report is winding down--I know I've said that in the last two posts, but we keep finding something to do in the lab because we find it such fun to go in and put on lab coats and gloves and mess around with pipettes and incubators and cell wells and things, and it's such a pain staring at the words and wondering how to explain the results we've gotten. But we've got pretty much ended for real, definite, certain, "confirm plus chop" in the vernacular; the report and poster are due the coming Friday, which means my coming Wednesday and Thursday are going to be spent haunting the room and staring at words.

I've also been sleeping awfully irregularly, due partly to my own indiscipline, partly to staying up late playing board games with friends and strangers--I slept at 6am this morning from playing with a bunch of people, some of whom turned out to be much more interesting than expected but weren't Facebookable because they apparently have either got very high privacy settings or don't have any account at all--and, of course, partly due to schoolwork, especially the FYP report. That thing is a 20MB file by now, 121 pages at least, and even so it remains incomplete--most of it is pictures and diagrams and so on, and I've found a little glitch in calculations that may or may not turn out to be significant--it may explain certain discrepancies in the findings, if I can get the projectmate to understand it. I think I'm almost certainly an intuitive by now, if only because the projectmate is so sensory that I find what seems to be a simple if-A-then-B argument (to me) turns into a A-is-A-not-B-and-B-is-B-not-A-and-A-governs-B-by-method-C-therefore-if-A-does-C-then-B explanation... it doesn't help matters that my English is better than the projectmate's and as a direct result I keep on having to deal with inquiries as to what words like "atypical" mean. I know I shouldn't think of linguistic skill as any sort of indicator of overall intelligence, but still.

And now? Now I prepare to sleep, of course; it's midnight, I've run the last eighteen hours on six hours' sleep; I have a debt, and I am very full of good food. I go, I go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next Last Post

Memoriam the Second

Panthera Sapiens: A Pie ('Nuff Said about that)