Fastslow Pausebutton

I received word about four hours ago that the company I had an interview at on Tuesday has chosen to offer me the position I interviewed for. I've already written back to say thank you very much and I look forward to starting in October, and received an email in reply to welcome me to the company "family"--inverted commas not mine--and now I'm panicking in earnest.

I know the implications of this decision, after all. It means my life in Singapore is over; no more swimming or listening to MRT jingles or convenient public transport. It also means that within two weeks I will need to be at least proficient enough at driving to get to and from the factory and wherever I live (either that or I'll need a place so near that I can just cycle instead), and given how frightening driving was to me when I first learned it, the second time 'round mightn't be any easier.

But it is a good opportunity, and I'll have a good boss and the HR seems friendly and helpful enough; and the extended family's happy enough that I'm going to be less than three hours away. And I'll still have Internet and thus be able to keep in touch with all the wonderful people I know in Spore. It's just that it's a completely new experience for me and I do think I'm completely out of my depth, the way I so often am. But we'll see what happens--I'll certainly need to change the phone number I use, and find nearby doctors and dentists and apply for (and get) a credit (or debit) card, and so forth and so on--the whole growing up and becoming an adult set of things to do. And come November I'll be learning to file my income taxes for the first time ever, oh joy! At least, I think they're filed every month. I'll need help on that.

In fact the whole experience is going to be about drawing on the help of everybody I can--my cousins for help in moving my four years' accumulation of stuff out of Spore and up to So Hour (and thence to wherever I end up staying for the next six months or so), my parents (and the housing agent) for help with dealing with the old bag, my boss-to-be (and the HR) for help in looking for accommodation, my cousins (again) for help with driving lessons... it's a lot of stuff to get done in just fourteen days, and that includes tomorrow. Suddenly time seems insanely short, when everything's moving at speeds fast enough to be frightening.

Still, survival. God promises everything we need, so if what I need is to be in Malaysia and nearby the family (but still not too far from the House of Bread), then surely there's a purpose. Perhaps it's also a good thing that I have so few obligations remaining, and the ones that are there are easily discharged or delegated. I've never been able to predict the future, and who can say what is good or bad? as the storied old man would say. As it is the steps I need to take have just become... not quite crystal-clear, but clearer. There are at least now definite things I can do, and have to do, and will do. And that little promise He made to me is now showing its fulfilment, so I shan't complain too much, except sometimes, a little bit, when I need to vent.

It's just the speed of things happening has winded me a little bit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next Last Post

Memoriam the Second

Panthera Sapiens: A Pie ('Nuff Said about that)