Coral Wrangler

My brain is currently too tired to do any work, so I'm typing this as a method of relaxation... I always get tired out when going through SOPs, I'm not sure why. But then maybe I'm easily tired, too.

How's my life? So-so; I'm still collecting data on my spending habits, but they don't seem at all good. For one thing I spend an unexpectedly high sum on my day-to-day life - in April, for example, I spent RM422 on meals, RM200 on gas, RM350 on tithes, RM150 on Internet, and RM500 on my sister's allowance - taking that as pretty average, that's a fixed monthly expenditure of about RM1622. And then there were the one-off expenditures - groceries (RM212), movies, clothes, and an advanced allowance for my sister (another RM700!) and a few other things, and my total expenditure for April actually pretty nearly matches my income for that month as well. So I actually don't save up quite as much as I (or other people) think I do.

It's not always so bad, of course. In March I spent RM300 less than in April, but that was also the month when the houseguest came and decided that I needed various house-cleaning items.

The houseguest is in fact... I don't know. Maybe, after all, I prefer to live in complete solitude rather than have another person around. Perhaps it's a simple issue of cultural clashes and miscommunication; both he and I believe ourselves to be easy-going, but I apply it to the house and my surroundings, while he applies it to time. This means that I simply drop my things where they fall and leave them be, but he constantly putters about putting things back in place and washing and so on; and conversely, when I want to have left the house already to go to somewhere else (on the rare occasion that I need to take him somewhere), he's still taking a shower - he takes incredibly long showers - or putting on his socks or choosing a shirt or something of the sort. It's quite an experience.

But the fact remains that I suspect that when he leaves, my monthly expenses will fall somewhat - with the exception that I'll allow that he has a point about buying rice to cook on weekends. I'll probably do that, and save on weekend meals.

I have a pair of new pets - Google assures me that they are skinks. The elder of them was caught in the factory and I took it home in a box with shrink-film across the top of it to prevent escape, but with holes in it to prevent asphyxiation; the younger of them was born in captivity one week after the capture. I have located them in a large plastic box with water and food - which means slivers of boiled egg, plus whatever insects may find their way into that box. They appear to be doing wonderfully well, and I'm quite pleased with it - reptiles are a quite low-maintenance pet which suits me just fine.

I spent the weekend in Singapore to get a new computer! It's a bit of an expenditure, but it should last me the next few years and so I don't mind it terribly - the computer parts and the tower casing altogether cost me about RM1542, at current exchange rates, and I'm going to need another RM300 or so for the monitor and keyboard; it'll be a bit of an expense of course but it's not too terribly intolerable.

This past weekend was also the most recent election in Malaysia; so far the results have been disappointing for a lot of people and elating for quite a few others. I'm personally... half-gratified-half-disappointed - I had expected dirty tricks to lead to the ruling party's victory, but had been hoping that they'd defy expectations and rise above their trickery. But they didn't. My colleagues are quite upset about it, which is understandable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next Last Post

Memoriam the Second

Panthera Sapiens: A Pie ('Nuff Said about that)