Lumped and Split

So it's the first Monday of June... how time does fly. I'm newly-returned to the house after having spent a long weekend in Singapore, but perhaps I am jumping too far too fast, so let us back up a little bit and go on to the main things.

Well, let's see. My expenses in May were quite large - in fact I overspent my earnings by a rather large margin - which I ought to take under control this month, if possible. I think it ought to be possible, if I pare away at my habit of ordering large meals; a steady diet of boiled eggs and raw carrots ought to handle any cravings for late-night snacks that I might gain as a result of reducing lunch portions. On the other hand, I do have a new computer and it's given me great pleasure.

The younger skink died; after not seeing it for a week, I had thought that it was in hiding (even the larger skink likes to conceal itself beneath the food dish), but then last week I found its head, separated entirely from its body, and in a state - it was missing both eyeballs and the lower jaw - as to suggest violent death and then decomposition. It was a rather poor surprise; I had hoped to rear Surprise entirely from birth to death in captivity. But then, when I got George, I hadn't expected Surprise - hence its name - and the present state of affairs is more or less exactly how I had expected it to be. So I shan't complain.

There is a mini-audit next week... which means this week will be full of me preparing audit check-lists, which I fear very much will expose all sorts of findings in the department. It'd be both my fault and not my fault at the same time; after all, the sudden personnel shortages and the poorness of the system aren't my fault, but I can see it being argued that in the past - goodness, four or five months? - of me taking over those duties, I should at some point or other have done some cleaning up. But at any rate I don't like audits; they always are intrusive and disrupt the actual work going on. Not that I don't see their raison d'etre, but that I wish they'd happen to other people and not to me.

At any rate I'll probably have a bunch of trouble and a bunch of things to put into place before October... It's not all bad, I guess, I just have a lot of things to do as I always do.

I went for a bit of a fitness challenge thing on Saturday morning with a friend; it began with stretching and sit-ups and things like that, and ended with a 2.4km run; and the upshot of THAT is that I am apparently weaker than 60-year-old men as well as having no core strength whatsoever to speak of, and have the breathing pattern of somebody in a corset (and the equivalent running stamina); even now I am aching.

But at the same time one has to admit that it seems to be a worthy pursuit, even if not necessarily easy to achieve. For one thing I'm going to have to store up enough willpower to come back from the office and change into the running togs and head out again for half an hour of constantly gasping for breath. Still, I shall attempt it twice weekly for a month, and then we shall see what we shall see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next Last Post

Memoriam the Second

Panthera Sapiens: A Pie ('Nuff Said about that)