Running Hot And Cold Emotions

It's only been one month since I began schooling in TAR. (Astonishingly, this is one of the few words in Malay that can be spelled in English without requiring alteration.) One would have thought that during this period, the class (most of which never laid eyes on each other up till now) would still be stuck in the getting-to-know-you phase and be on moderately good terms with each other. One would expect the place to be one huge amalgamation of friendliness and shyness.
Not at all. Or at least, not really. The class has begun to manufacture its own batch of friendships (to be expected) and enmities (also expected, but not so early!). Apparently the sixteen temperaments can really clash when they get down to it. Take Gene and Psycho (my class representative; we don't have monitors in college).
I should provide some very summarised background information, but I don't have the proper credentials; however, a source I found on the Net says that the extroverted Choleric (Worker) is short-tempered and ill natured, but has a dynamic desire for action; the extroverted Sanguine (Talker) is cheerful, outgoing and optimistic, but not very serious or organized; The introverted Phlegmatic (Watcher) is slow and sluggish, but can stay calm, cool and collected under pressure; The introverted Melancholy (Thinker) is deep, sad and depressive, but also a thoughtful, gifted and analytical genius. According to a test I took, I'm Choleric/Melancholy. That explains my need to control my own life to a certain degree, and explains my obsessive attention to perfect grammar!
But back to the topic. Gene appears to be a dominant Phlegmatic (which means that the greater half in his mix is Phelgmatic--I'm not very sure about his other half) , while Psycho is almost definitely dominant Sanguine. Which leads to situations where the lecturer asks for an answer. Gene, wanting to please the lecturer, answers. Psycho, perhaps wanting to provoke a laugh from the class, shoots the idea down (and often gets the intended laugh from his cronies). Gene simmers but doesn't say anything. Situation is repeated until Gene loses his temper (which leads to my speculation that he may be Choleric too), and yells back at Psycho, which provokes Psycho, who intensifies the shooting-down...
Unfortunately (again due to the temperaments), Psycho has had a lifetime of arguing with people. Gene hasn't. Obviously Psycho comes off better in the verbal match (often right under the lecturer's nose!) and Gene goes back into boiling mode.
Now I'm in the position of trying to help Gene get over it and maintain peace with Psycho at the same time. I don't like this one bit. For one thing I have nothing against Psycho myself, and therefore helping Gene attack him is (to me) akin to backstabbing. However I do have a duty to help Gene defend himself and therefore aid him in the onslaught of Psycho...
That isn't to say that I'm the all-around nice guy. I happen to be currently embroiled in a Cold War with Gambler (Sanguine Melancholy, I think), who is the assistant class representative. (Must be something about authority that makes me want to attack.) She's the one I mentioned a few posts back as the one who's also from KK and went to a school within one kilometre of mine. And I'm pleased to say that I haven't engaged in yelling matches. They're not my style.
And it's not like she can't defend herself. I've had several very interesting matches with her (unfortunately with her, verbal fights aren't just another game; she doesn't understand the concept of insult fests!) and I won pretty much every time, tongues wagging.
And then of course there're people who seem to be glued to each other. And the guy who repeatedly asks if he makes people 'feel boring'. And the gaggle of girls who live to talk. In fact it's beginning to seem very much like home. Apparently human nature never changes no matter where.
But it'll be very interesting to see where this little soap opera leads to; all the world's a stage, and this plot is showing some promise. I almost wonder if there'll be any crying or dying in this one.

Comments

AJ said…
Have you thought about generating a soap opera script based on your classroom?

Popular posts from this blog

Next Last Post

Memoriam the Second

Panthera Sapiens: A Pie ('Nuff Said about that)