Back from the Boondocks

I have returned to the land of the computers from So Hour. Well, actually even while I was there, I had access to computers, but I didn't turn up on MSN or blogs or even my common forums (as a result of which my post count is no longer the highest on Badguys Inc). At any rate, I'm back and I've got plenty of stuff to say.

I always do, don't I? *snicker*

So... let's see now, my last post was right after Chemistry (which Kelvin says was easy and I say was hard), so I'll take up the tale at So Hour, since I'm sure you're not a bit interested in my bus trip down.

So Hour was wonderful. It's amazing what a five-hour bus trip can do to make you seem isolated from normal life--I always get this peaceful impression in my grandparents' place, like it's a little haven untouched by city life. It's plain wonderful, especially for me--clean air is a luxury to breathe.

And the food! The glorious, wonderful, neverending supply of home-cooked food! I'm the first to admit I was a glutton while there, since I tripled my usual intake and I didn't even do a bit of manual labour, except once when I went off to a cybercafe with my cousin for a bit of DotA. And I was suitably punished--I spent plenty of time going to and from the toilet.

At any rate, I loved being with family. It's very nice, and it's one of the reasons I plan to have a nice large family (after, of course, I'm sure I can support one). Plenty of noise and chatter and gossip running through the place, plus there's no shortage of amusement to be had. And besides, my cousins all look up to me (not necessarily physically) as The English King of the family.

(I bet that was why I ended up giving free tuition to my cousins. What the heck, I enjoyed it, and besides I've never given a tuition class where the student's parents gave me a cane and told me to whack the kid hard. I didn't use it, although I admit I rather enjoyed twisting his arm.)

They didn't load me down with supplies this time; I expect they took one look at my bag (I stuffed my schoolbag with underwear and some books and my pencilcase and that's all I brought down; I can fit into my counsins' clothes) and decided there wasn't enough space to put in a week's breakfast. Either that or they've decided keeping me hungry is a good way to keep me going down for visits.

And so I've had loads of fatty rice (the Malays call it nasi lemak), tofu fried Teochew style, porridge, rice, veggies, pork fat (I love it!), more veggies, more porridge, and more tofu (my grandmother thinks a taste for tofu runs in the family and I don't disagree).

The trip back up was equally uninteresting, except that the guy beside me in the bus snored loudly. I didn't get to sleep.

By the way, I've seen the new posts and the photos in Meow's blog, and I say! They've all changed a good deal since I last saw them. Kelvin has, anyway: he looks, I don't know, older? younger? He doesn't look his age, that's certain. At least they've all got away from their worries about their A-levels; I've still got the dreaded exams at the end of the year, and my lecturers say it's going to be a tough one.

I shudder.

By the by, I finally got a lizard. I caught it the other day, and just to make sure it didn't escape me this time, I stuck it in a closed container and put in a half-liter of water. The lizard drowned in two hours and has, at this time, been more than half-eaten by a horde of ants. Niche has borrowed a scent dispenser from an ex-classmate to help himself overcome his psychological belief that the room stinks. (It doesn't, not at all. Ants are very clean eaters.)

Oh, and there's been a rash of electrical short-circuits these last two days: very annoying. I had to bring out all my torches to keep the floormates happy. (I have 3: one infra-red laser/white light, one Maglite, and one lighter/UV beam.) My indifference to the World Cup (may it soon be over!) is such that when I heard a roar last night, I thought the electricity was out again. Fortunately it was nothing more than a missed goal.

Football is when a bunch of guys run around a patch of grass, trying to kick a little ball into a big net. It makes an interesting psychological study, and I think the whole process would be easier if the net were bigger and the people smaller (or the ball). In any case I think it's utterly idiotic--those muscles could be better used in hard labour, like maybe farming or building or something useful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next Last Post

Memoriam the Second

Panthera Sapiens: A Pie ('Nuff Said about that)