Dropping in on the Rat Race

I began work today, in my uncle's office in PJ. The distance of the office from my current location (I've only been there three or four times before and I got lost on the bus there) means that I have to move into my uncle's house tomorrow if I want to stand any chance of actually getting to work on time... of course, I'm not bringing my entire load there, just some clothes to wear during the week. Home clothes and office clothes, as I call them.

Which quite likely spells the end of all my past-midnight chatting. That's sad. On the other hand, I might get to go online during office hours. That's nice...

Maybe I'll follow Velary's lead and put up four or five posts a week. Working ought to expose me to loads of stuff to write about, besides my own complexes and over-dramatised mood swings. And, of course, the nothingness that is my life nowadays. It's almost a miracle if I ever manage to drag myself out of bed before 10 these days.

[one week later]

Yes, I know it's sad. I only appear online once a week... so I'll just make this super fast.

My life basically now revolves around my job and the transport to and from thereof... I have begun to get used to the bus system there, but so far have not managed to get off at the right stop. The first time I tried, I overshot. The second time, I undershot and had to walk the rest of the way... I arrived dripping sweat. It didn't smell pretty.

My job description (since I am working for my uncle, after all, and he has kids) includes filing, checking numbers on bank records, typing forms, sending off letters, fetching kids from school and tuition, acting as mobile punching bag for hyperactive 5-year-olds, and generally looking useful in the place. I added Hearts expert to the list on Friday, when I found myself with a laptop and an unexpected chunk of free time, and no Net connection. Hearts is surprisingly easy to learn really, when you get the basic premises of it down.

Of course, so far I've only won one or two games against the computer.

And the university applications, drat them, are going madly. So far Monash has sent me a letter complaining that I forgot to send them some certs, which I shall have to get to my sister to certify and post off, hopefully before the deadline, and then on the 15th, the ASEAN scholarships are up for grabs and I might want one of them to get into NUS or NTU, and suddenly my mom heard of some course called bioinformatics and she wants me to try it too... Gah. I hate these things.

But once the office gets a router... woot! I shall be online! (That's also if they fix the laptop. Right now it has zero battery life, a non-working CDROM, and various other faults I haven't discovered yet.)

Oh, by the way, I went shopping yesterday and bought some clothes. The CNY binge really did a number on my waistline, I've swollen up to waist size 34! It's shocking really, I ought to go into depression and start a madly hectic weightloss programme. But then again... I suppose it's just that new CLEO magazine my sister has. (Yes, I read my sister's magazines. What? You don't think I should? Oh go take your opinions somewhere else.) And that isssue happened to have "50 Most Eligible Bachelors" splashed all over its insides, and boy that was depressing.

CLEO's prerequisites to be Most Eligible:
1. No glasses.
2. No acne.
3. Big eyes and lashes.
4. At least 6 packs.
5. Straight white teeth.
6. An appealing smile.
7. Fashion sense.
8. Oodles of cash.
9. Some artsy course like "Painting" or "Literature" at some college or uni or something.

And you know, I don't fit a single one of those categories. Not one. It appears that no matter what people say, a brain isn't needed or wanted around 'til the computer crashes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next Last Post

Memoriam the Second

Panthera Sapiens: A Pie ('Nuff Said about that)