Desk Pounder

I have been pounding my desk quite frequently today. I woke at 9am, or thereabouts--unlike Crazy Scary, I don't tend to wake very early on weekends. Especially not on weekends (although I make an exception for Sunday since I have church).

Actually the pounding is days overdue: my computer, again, is having troubles. I've been assured by various sources that these troubles are likely to be recurrent, especially since I'm using a Dell; also these same sources advocate any one of three or four remedies that will be both time-consuming and expensive and I really cannot afford to carry those out at this time in the semester. The troubles, specifically, are: slow start-up time (this has been going on for a little over a month now)--the computer takes about 15 minutes between the time I press ON to the time I can actually begin using it, and I take only 2 seconds to enter my password; and more recently, spontaneous shutdowns/restarts regardless of conditions, as well as inability to run FireFox and MSN simultaneously without occasionally lagging, or worse, seizing up--at its worst even Task Manager refuses to respond to the End Task command. In addition even starting these two programs takes an additional 2 or 3 minutes.

This, according to the sources cited above, may be due to overheating, trojans, RAM burnout, fan malfunction, motherboard crashing, or overhigh commit charge. Which may be fixed, respectively, by heat sinks, reformatting, RAM replacement, fan replacement, motherboard replacement, or a wave of deletion of programs (which I just carried out and hasn't helped one whit).

I hope to get them all fixed in Fifth Hun at year's end; at the moment I'm just glad I printed out all my notes already, although of course I do still have to use this laptop for some things... With the finals coming in four weeks' time, uninterrupted studying sessions tend to be important. And with a laptop like this that certainly would be impossible... I definitely, absolutely, regret buying this cheap thing--but then, of course, it seemed like a bargain at the time. I just didn't realise its projected lifespan would be a little under a year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next Last Post

Memoriam the Second

Panthera Sapiens: A Pie ('Nuff Said about that)