Pre Beijing

It appears that I have a habit of breaking resolutions. Observe the never-ending “Last post before SPM” s! I have just seen Canal, Ice, and family again (I presume for the last time this year). And not only have I seen them, but I have watched them play basketball for about 1 ¾ hours, returned them several DVDs, gotten a plate of baked sweetmeats as well as a box of cookies, and had a Bible study with them. Oh, and I also got lost momentarily in an LRT station. It wasn’t my entire fault—my ticket wasn’t expensive enough, and I got held up to repay the balance, during which my accompaniments vanished. So I got lost. They did find me eventually, though.
Plans have now been laid to go to Beijing and then to Harbin soon; I shudder metaphorically and literally. Beijing is 2 days away by car and about 7 to 8 degrees colder than the Big S; Harbin is 12 hours away from Beijing by train and has an average winter temperature of minus 29 degrees in the afternoon. Pros: I’ll see snow. Cons: I’ll be cold. Wolf shares my sentiments here.
I hope to get to Fuzhou Road before leaving for Beijing and get me some books. I’ll have to get loads of books if I’m to survive 48 hours travelling in the car. And I’ll have to get Wolf’s wish list too if possible. And Meow’s, too (she wanted ‘anything catty’). Besides, with the gweilo family gone, we are pretty much without contacts here, so I am going to be quite bored. What, you think I get to sit about here watching DVDs all day for entertainment?
I bathed today. It’s been 5 days since I last did so, and the stench proves it. At any rate, I now know the full meaning of Tolkien’s poem in the LOTR trilogy (‘Water Hot!’). There’s nothing quite like it when one is frozen to the bone from the wind and air outside. However, I have a premonition that once I get to the Frozen North, I’ll appreciate saunas and hot baths as never before. I’ll just have to pack extra-strength cold pills as well as the diarrhoea pills I’ve been taking. (They work: I’m fine now.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next Last Post

Memoriam the Second

Panthera Sapiens: A Pie ('Nuff Said about that)