Mass Called

Today was the day of the biannual Mass Call event, when the College is invaded by hundreds of furious and ravening freshmen, including yours truly. Not that I'm furious or ravening, or even that I invaded it today. But it wasn't too bad on the whole; for listening to a few hours' lecturing on the school and its properties (all of which I already knew), I got a T-shirt (with 'Proud To Be TARCian' emblazoned on its back) and a thick file full of papers singing the school's praises. Oh well, at least it's something to read.
I'm dreadfully bored at the moment. I often am these days, especially on holidays, because then the school's computer lab is closed and I get to spend the day staring at the ceiling. I think that I shall ask my dad for a laptop or something to while away my time usefully. Of course, whether I get it or not is another matter.
I have become something of a senior freshman; quite an oxymoron, isn't that? Basically it means that I'm one of the elder freshmen around, since there's been an influx of 'newbie freshies', in my lecturer's words. The CPS and the Diploma courses began today and brought with them enough people to turn the hostel from a ghost town into something like a fish market. It used to be that when I went for nighttime walks, I heard nothing but crickets and other insects; now, the crickets have been banished to the tunes of blasting songs from boom boxes.
And when I say boom, I mean boom, as in shake the windows and rattle the doors boom. Some people, and by this I mean the Indians living on the second floor of my hostel block, need hearing aids so they don't need to turn their volume so high up. It's irritating to say the least.
I have found my future job: I'm a great tourist guide, it appears. I found a guy from Johore (which means we were born in the same state) and took him around the campus area. He will henceforth be known as One, and has increased the number of friends I've recently made to about eight. He's doing the Pre-U Certificate, which means hell only be here for one year; but to hear him moan about his rubbery legs after a night of walking (this strongly reminds me of the Pig!), one would think that the end of his course here would come none too soon for him.
The Pig doesn't appear to have gotten out of The Torture Camps yet, while everybody else does. I can only conclude that he's avoiding me. Oh well.
I was quite surprised at the mass call, actually. Shocked into silence, so those who know me and my motor mouth can get the picture. It took about five seconds for me to process the fact that the little baby-faced kid with the glaring yellow-green hair looking up at me was Nine, who used to be my classmate from...Form Two, I think. He moved to KL around then, if my memory serves me right; our relationship was rocky to say the least. (At Form Two, if I'm right, I was a really temperamental brat, and everybody knew it except me.)
He doesn't appear to be harbouring any homicidal intentions towards me, though, so I think I'll just let things stand as they are (read: ignore his existence) unless circumstances require otherwise.
I've started playing Neopets again after a hiatus of about two years--a radical departure from my habit of not playing online games. This bit is just to show how bored I am.
A final note: my English teacher just passed around a few photostats of 'perfect A-Level essays'. I found five punctuation mistakes in the first one (marked 'the best of them all'), and have decided that from now on I shall improve the quality of my writings and typings so as to leave her completely stunned. I have formed a resolution to become the English King of the Class, and no one shall come before me! And, by the way, it's a nice thought that in the future, my writings will be passed around classes with 'broke all previous records' marked on it--without a single mistake, grammatical or punctuational or otherwise. Dear teacher, bring it on!

Comments

Aiming said…
oh yeah,the English tiger strikes again !! i think zhi wei refers to Violet from 'A series of unfortunate events'...and like he said, if you read the books or watched the movie, you'll get what he's saying.
Kel said…
Thank God I wasn't there, or you'll have lots of trouble trying to stay at number 2 ! =P
It's not going to be too tough. I think my main competition will be the Indians, unfortunately...the Chinese here are not very proficient in the fine art of linguistics.

Popular posts from this blog

Next Last Post

Memoriam the Second

Panthera Sapiens: A Pie ('Nuff Said about that)