They've No Brains

I have just cemented my opinion that being in KL has corrupted my previous semi-workaholic nature by going to yet another mall and not doing any homework on Sunday. I went with Wolf, ostensibly to look for another pair of pants (my jeans have been ripping right, left, and centre--literally) and to keep each other company.
It's not as if I earned it by doing mounds and mounds of homework on Saturday. Far from it. I spent the morning and afternoon in school, first for extra Chemistry class, and then for a society's Orientation Day. The latter provided lunch, so I awed Gene and everyone else at the table by finishing off two packs of vermicelli and cornflour/egg plus three cups of orange and blackberry cordial (separately). And then I topped it all off when, at the end of the Orientation, I took another four packs back to the hostel for a free dinner and planned free breakfast. (I was suitably punished: the two packs of vermicelli reserved for breakfast went very, very rancid.)
Anyway, Monday has turned out just as horrible as its reputation. Or maybe it's just that Black Monday also affects the people at my electricity company--TNB (They've No Brains for short). They chose yesterday to afflict my entire area with a power shortage, which is why I'm posting this on Tuesday instead of Monday as usual. And then they had the gall to tell everyone it's not their fault.
The one silver lining to that black cloud is that I did get some homework done, and that I managed to get a nap--even if the fan did switch itself off halfway through. Besides, there was a truly lovely downpour, so the temperature in the room didn't hit dangerous levels. Unlike earlier in the day, when the lecture halls became the rough equivalent of human furnaces. It got so bad that the teachers actually listened seriously to Psycho's suggestion to cut class short! (Unfortunately, their sense of duty won out and they forced themselves through hours of teaching in a boiling environment. Hats off to them!)
Today, the weather was just as good (the sheer volume of rain was such that one of the lecture halls' ceilings caved in, barely missing the Biology lecturer), and even better, there were no electricity cuts except once in the morning.
I should add that by now, I have finished a good deal more science fiction in two months than I used to read in half a year; thanks to the library, I've gone through volumes 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 of Robert Jordan's Wheel Of Time series, volumes 1, 2, and 3 of the Dune series, and various other stand-alones. Some of the gems I found by accident include Covenants by Lorna Somebody--I don't remember her name, but the book was great. It's a basic fantasy story, but what really shines is the sense of humour--so like my own that I went mad and laughed my way through it. (My room-mate is still looking sideways at me.)
And, of course, I've read The Da Vince Code (which I borrowed from Gene). It's got a good plot, but it's the kind of story that you can only read once; after that, you already know the ending and all the suspense-inducers get rendered useless--and the book is 50% suspense-inducers. Otherwise, it's pretty good reading, to me anyway, because I like the symbology lessons very much. Not, of course, that I agree with everything the book says.
My exams are coming in two weeks' time, and until then I'm going to be pressurising everybody I see online in Shining Institute to give me tips. So far Herr Robson has given: 'Eat well. Study hard. Sleep enough.'
Thank you so much, Herr Robson. I would never have guessed otherwise.
And Kelvin chipped in: 'You're going to die.'
It's so nice to be encouraged, isn't it?
So that's about it. I'm really going to have to buckle down to it this time, since I'm quite certain that not studying is not conducive to getting results that can be considered good in any way. Oh well. All good things, I suppose, must come to an end. Especially unlimited leisure time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next Last Post

Memoriam the Second

Panthera Sapiens: A Pie ('Nuff Said about that)