A List of Interesting Descriptions

"O wad some Power the giftie gie us To see oursels as ithers see us!"--Longfellow

The above quote, in English, is "O would a Power the Gifter give us/ To see ourselves as others see us!", and quite recently I've found that some people see me in most unflattering lights.

You've heard, I expect, of the Johari or Nohari windows? Simply put, they're grids divided into four areas encompassing your traits, with one area being What You Know And Others Know (Arena), one area being What You Know And Others Don't(Facade), What You Don't Know And Others Do (Blindspot), and the last one What Nobody Knows (Unknown). The Johari window is predominantly positive traits, and the Nohari window negative ones.

My Johari window has been in existence somewhat longer than my Nohari one, so it has accumulated rather more descriptions; most of which, I admit, I cannot see in myself (or did see in myself but was unable to select because one can only select six traits to know about oneself when making the window). I'll just pinpoint the odder traits, since most of the descriptions I can somehow puzzle out the origin of.

bold--> I have no idea when I ever became bold. Apparently Nil and Herr Robson find me thus, but I have yet to ask them when I exhibited such a trait--I always thought myself rather a shrinking violet.

cheerful/happy/silly/spontaneous--> No comment. I do get a little hyper sometimes, but spontaneous? It sounds as if I'm about to combust any moment. And as for "cheerful"...!

complex--> I admit that I probably do have mental unstabilities. What I don't know is how four people managed to detect them. Still, I must applaud such perspicacity.

confident/energetic/self-assertive--> Refer to above shrinking violet comment. And I don't know how I managed to turn energetic. Anybody who's ever seen me on a sports field should know better than to call me "energetic". Maybe "enervated" would be a better term... still, perhaps I am a little assertive. It's a good thing, right?

dependable/helpful--> Me?

friendly/shy/sympathetic--> It's bizarre how somebody like me, who has almost no sense of emotion, managed to turn sympathetic. Then again, I suppose somebody with no feeling of their own would be the best dumping ground for somebody practically overflowing with it. As for the friendly... well, to my friends, perhaps. And how does one combine the "shy" with the above "confident/self-assertive/etc."?

independent--> Independent, I who depend on pretty much everybody around me for pretty much everything? Maybe I only appear independent. But it's certain I wouldn't last very long if abandoned.

modest/proud--> I am a walking contradiction in terms.

observant--> Only of facts that interest me, like behavioural oddities or rhythms or habitual behaviour. Not of schoolwork!

organised--> Obviously this person has never seen my room, because my room is proof that this trait is either highly underdeveloped in me--or practically nonexistent.

searching/idealistic/religious/reflective--> I never thought of myself as particularly religious before now, but apparently I exude an aura of holiness. *giggle* I do reflect on some stuff now and then, but I'm not sure that I'm searching for anything in particular.

tense--> Yes! In public when speaking!

cruel/violent--> My most dominant negative traits, and I already knew about the cruelty. I just didn't know I was so violent too--but D-Kun says I'm only violent "in a weird way", which I'm not sure is a good thing.

weak/cowardly--> This is more like it.

insensitive/cold--> Ta dah! Proof that I am both thick-skinned and emotionless!

inflexible--> Me?...well, maybe only if something goes against what I think important. Some rules were never meant to be broken.

irresponsible/unhelpful/childish--> I insist on being mentally young. Maybe I'm being a little too much so... but unhelpful? I don't know...I do try to help on occasion...apparently trying isn't enough. As for the irresponsibility, I totally agree. It's part of trying to stay young.

selfish/unethical--> I don't understand at all. When did I lose all my ethics? Probably around the same time I became selfish.

unhappy--> square this against the "cheerful/silly/HAPPY/etc..." above and you'll be able to prove beyond doubt that I am a contradiction in terms.

ignorant/self-satisfied/foolish--> I beg to differ. I am not ignorant!

The A2 officially begins next week, with the Biology Paper 5 on Thursday. About half the class has begun regularly skipping lectures and such in an effort to make the final study cram; the other half is skipping in an effort to catch up on sleep. I'm still sitting here blogging and tinkering about with my personality.

I ought to study, and since my Chemistry lecturer says that plans are important, I've made a plan that involves plenty of studying just prior to the actual exams. Of course, I will read through the materials before then, but I won't be actually forcing all the stuff into my brain... more like trying to allow it to gently and effortlessly osmose in. After all, there's very little in my brain and a lot in the books, so the process shouldn't be too difficult. It's not hard to add to zero.

I probably won't be updating during the A2 itself, although I fully expect to break this resolution. Keep your fingers crossed.

By the way, I understand that the STPM also begins soon; almost at the same time as my A2, in fact; good luck to those who are taking it as they prepare for the final cram!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next Last Post

Memoriam the Second

Panthera Sapiens: A Pie ('Nuff Said about that)