Egads, How The Time It Flies

...it's been a very long time indeed since I last posted, isn't it? Yes it has. It's been ages, in fact, but that's not terribly surprising because I've been awfully busy. At least that's what it usually means when one's Google Calendar page is a massive splash of colours and there's barely any white space left. Of course, there's more white space than there was in March or April, partly because school's out so the ALS doesn't have any events for me to attend or plan or whatnot. But now there's church stuff and the mission trip in July to deal with, and that one's got me hugely worried because we have far too few team meetings and I haven't started on the fundraising...

I envy almost all the people in my Bible study, I realised a bit of time ago, because they're on holiday and I'm still on internship; and worse luck, the industrial attachment report submission date is coming up in a couple weeks and my projects (if they may be called that way) aren't anything like complete yet. At least, the major one is still in proposal stage, though I suppose it's possible (with a little jostling) to get it more or less implemented by next weekend and then I'll do some quick and creative rewriting. But the report's a whopping 27 pages long now (Arial, 12-point, double-spaced) with about 8 sections and a lovely Table of Contents (but no Table of Figures because there aren't any yet). One of the other interns wrote a 70-page document and of course it was commended as being comprehensive. I plan to not exceed 35 and have it be called "laconic". But back to the subject of holidays: already at least four of them have gone trotting off on holiday; more will disappear in the two or three weeks to come; suffice it to say that by the time I finish my internship and have the capability to permit myself to stay up all night giggling and chattering, there'll be almost nobody left to chatter at. Yeah, I'm a bleak-thinking person.

We played Clue last night, I and a few of the Bible study people, because one of them had a flight this morning and will spend the next 50 days strolling around southeast China with only his backpack for company--he's not even brought his laptop. Personally I find that sort of experience terrifying, and not least because I haven't any sense of direction so I'd probably wind up broke and stranded in Moscow if I started out with a new platinum credit card from, say, the middle of Thailand. Not to mention I'm not the kind of person who deals well with being lonely. I can handle being alone, but one does desire companionship if for nothing other than to complain at. Stars are prettier when there's somebody to point and say "Ooooh" beside you, and horrible food isn't so bad when you've got somebody to snicker and wish you could feed the glop to that horrible lecturer that nobody likes.

Clue was fun. Apparently it's tradition to put on an accent when playing, though as all the characters' illustrations make them look British (different kinds of British, to be sure, but still), the accents weren't exactly the peak of wit. They were funny, though, and I suppose we could always watch more British telly to brush up on that sort of thing. One thing, though, Professor Plum looks awfully like David Tennant--maybe it's that slightly bewildered expression. Miss Scarlet is definitely a Matt ummmsomethingIforgetthenameoftheguyplayingtheEleventhDoctor. Or we could pretend to be from York or Cockney or whatnot. As it turned out, it was Miss Scarlet in the Library with the Candlestick--not too far-fetched, I suppose, libraries do need plenty of lighting, though why you'd keep exposed flame near tonnes of paper is beyond me. Personally next time I play Clue, I'm keeping a much fuller log than the ones the game supplies--little X'es just don't suffice. My idea of a proper record would have something like "Player X guessed Miss Scarlet in the Library with the Knife, passed by Player Y, passed by Player Z, disproved by Player A" and "I guessed Mr Green in the Lounge with the Lead Pipe, proved player B has Lead Pipe" at the very least. It'd be a very large scorecard but it'd make the game a lot easier to win. (That might be why such scorecards aren't distributed.)

I was out with some of the people from Bible study after Bible study on Sunday (my goodness, I've been spending a great deal of time with them, haven't I) and was talked into trying to work out because apparently my gut is eyecatching and really doesn't belong on me and won't belong on me 'til I'm at least thrice my current age. So I Googled and found a page detailing weightless exercises (because I'm too cheap to shell out for barbells and the like)... and attempted pushups and one-legged squats and lunges and other strange things. It turns out that even though I can leap four steps at a go on the stairs (I commonly go three at a time, or two if I'm very tired), I can barely do five pushups. It's not tiredness, really, it's just sheer pain, like the first time I tried to jog--no buffer zone at all, direct route from "let's see, you put your hands here and your legs there..." to "OW OW OWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW". Actually I tried them out that particular Sunday because my (now ex-)roommate had just moved out so there wouldn't be anybody to snicker-snort at my athletic incompetence; if there had been any chance of witnesses I shouldn't have tried that at all. I wonder if the hostel will assign another person to be a temporary roommate; certainly the toiletmates' room has been filled, and to overflowing. Auditory evidence suggests at least four occupants; I haven't actually got to know any of them except the first one, who's also on internship somewhere; the other three (or so) appeared at various other times, usualy while I was out somewhere else. And of that person the first sight I had of him was of him on the floor, covering it with suds and wielding a brush, and scrubbing vigourously.

I suppose it was a good impression, in a way.

...according to the university email, I should be able to find out what my Final Year Project will be in a couple weeks' time. I don't know if that's a good thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next Last Post

Memoriam the Second

Panthera Sapiens: A Pie ('Nuff Said about that)