Withdrawal Symptoms

I got back yesterday from my grandparents' in So Hour, and I'm still missing them. I started missing them as of one hour after arrival at my hostel room yesterday, when I realised that it was lunchtime and there was no Teochew porridge and food waiting for me. (Typical me, I suppose.)

The trip down was most certainly worth it, even if it cost me about 30 or so bucks and my facial wash (which I packed lying on its side) leaked and drenched half my stuff in strong-smelling liquid. After all, I did enjoy myself thoroughly while I was there.

My grandfather is as hale as ever, my grandmother equally so, but my cousin (hereafter referred to as Lucky) rode a motorcycle over a cat the day before I arrived. The cat survived, but he fell onto the road and got scraped and cut in a dozen places, including three piercings on his left foot that went bone-deep. When I saw him he had more bandages on him than the typical Egyptian mummy.

That was the beginning of my week in Three Waves, during which I gorged myself royally on the equivalent of five meals a day, not including snacks (which were plentiful and frequent). Besides, it happens that several fruits are in season, all of which are grown on the farm, and so I had lots of that too.

While I was there, I played Chore Big Two, Chinese chess, a pirated and inferior version of Monopoly, You Gee Oh, and badminton. I lost most of them, but then again I had relatively little experience. Oh well, one can't win everything.

I'm back now, and getting used to breathing heavily polluted air again. I nearly gagged yesterday when I got caught in the traffic jam; the heavy amount of traffic entering KL yesterday caused my bus to get stuck in the middle of the road and I had to walk the rest of the way (thank God it wasn't far) to the transit. I did have to take a taxi up to my hostel, though; two bags loaded down with clothes, books, and groceries (I was taken on a shopping spree by my aunts and uncle when they decided that I looked malnourished) are no easy thing to carry up a 45-degree incline. Even lugging them up five floors to my room nearly floored me.

So I'm back in the Land Below the Smog (the haze hasn't made a comeback yet, but I'm waiting for it) and trying to ignore the gastric pains that I get everytime I think of So Hour. In the meantime, I've still got a Chemistry examination tomorrow to prepare for. (The lecturer planned it for today but forgot to reckon with the disorganised-ness of my class, which took almost half an hour to arrange the chairs into the proper formations.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next Last Post

Memoriam the Second

Panthera Sapiens: A Pie ('Nuff Said about that)