One Week

Yes, I know it's a lot more than one week since I last posted. Kelvin has said so most eloquently in an MSN conversation, and well, here's my reply.

I spent the last week down in So Hour with my grandparents, which is my excuse for not putting up the usual update last week. Still, at least it gives me plenty of stuff to write about now. See, every cloud has a silver lining after all!

(I've been reading my old posts, and I've noticed that the number of exclamation marks in my posts has dwindled alarmingly. Some of my earlier posts were practically overflowing with them--and most of my latest posts don't have anything other than commas and periods in them. I wonder if it has any significance.)

So, I went down on Monday. Nothing much happened that day, except that I began eating a lot again. Of course, I began exercising a little more than before (specifically, cycling and badminton and twisting little cousins' arms), but not enough to balance out the weight gain. I don't think it did anything about my abdominal area, though; I still have a bit of paunch.

Tuesday is when my study routine kicked in: at least, it did on Tuesday morning when I pulled out my Chemistry and started trying to make head and tail out of tetrachlorides and phenols and other frighteningly long names. I actually managed to wade through half my notes by mid-morning. Unfortunately, I seem to have forgotten everything.

And then, I watched my younger cousin butcher a snake. It was in my grandfather's oil palm estate, actually; he'd asked me to come along to have a look, presumably for some bonding time. I spent most of the time wandering around and asking inane questions about the oil palms, like the estate size and how to tell when the palms got ripe (once every two weeks). Then my younger cousin took me on a tour (he works there) and on the way we found a couple of snakes entwined around a bird's nest in a tree.

One of them escaped, and the other one got lopped in half by the parang my younger cousin (I'll call him Smell, because he does) was carrying at the time. The half with the head kept on trying to slither away and kept failing; the half with the tail thrashed about the way a lizard's tail does. So he lopped the head off and that half stopped moving. Then we noticed a bulge in the half with the tail (which had stopped thrashing) and we cut that open, upon which two halves of a frog dropped out, covered in the late snake's digestive juices. We later disembowelled the half with the tail (and the bowels) and stuck a stick into the open end... well, I stuck a stick into the open end. The farm people are so used to snakes that nothing short of an anaconda epidemic would shock them. So I carried around half a snake's corpse until lunchtime. (I made sure to smoke the carcass out, though, to get it relatively cleaner.)

The snake's corpse is now lying somewhere on a roadside rotting away. I didn't want to bring it up to the hostel since Niche would object... however, I do have a nice frog carcass now perched on top of my wardrobe. I'm waiting for the ants to process it and leave me with a nice shiny skeleton.

I spent most of the rest of the week studying and eating, both of which are extremely boring activities and which would not interest you in the least, unless you happen to be interested in fifteen different formulae to find the means and variances of discrete random variables.

Yesterday, I returned to KL with my books and about 5 kilos of various fruits, which I distributed between myself and my sister and Coconut. Well, the last was a special request. At any rate, I now have enough fruit to not buy breakfast for the next few days.

Oh, and I just got my new mp3. My sister brought it back from Patience. It's pink/blue, has 256 MB of memory (not very much, according to Niche), and comes with a manual completely in Chinese (and therefore nearly indecipherable to me). I hate reading Chinese because it slows me down by nearly a factor of three: my Chinese really sucks.

I haven't got any complaints about it yet, except that my dad went and put in a few songs of his own choice (not mine), so now my mp3 is devoted solely to Christian music. It's not that I don't like Christian music, it's just that I wish they'd told me what they were going to put in it. Still, I figured out how to delete songs I don't want.

I'm already making a mental list of songs I do want:
We Believe (Good Charlotte)
Sound of the Underground (Girls Aloud)
Life Got Cold (ditto)
No Good Advice (ditto)
Summer Nights (Grease)
Beauty School Dropout (ditto)
Look At Me, I'm Sandra Dee (ditto)
You're the One that I Want (ditto)
Think of Me (Phantom of the Opera)
Masquerade (ditto)
Child of the Wilderness (ditto)
Be Our Guest (Beauty and the Beast, Disney)
Kill the Beast! (ditto)
Bad Day (Daniel Powter)
Sound of Music (Sound of Music)
Raindrops on Roses/My Favourite Things (ditto)
Sixteen Going on Seventeen (ditto)
Do Re Mi (ditto)
How Do You Solve a Problem like Maria? (ditto)
Something Good (ditto)
The Yodelling Song (ditto)
Hips Don't Lie (Shakira)
:: various Chocobo tunes:: (Final Fantasy)

... and this is just a small selection. Cheeky says I can have up to 50 songs in it, which amounts to roughly 250 minutes or almost 4 hours of straight non-repeat songs. You'll notice a lot of my songs come from Disney movies and musicals? I blame myself for not listening to more pop music. But then, those songs really are nice. If, of course, I manage to get my hands on them...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next Last Post

Memoriam the Second

Panthera Sapiens: A Pie ('Nuff Said about that)