Surprise, Surprise

The AS results have finally come out, after a few days' suspense when Cambridge supplied a bad password to my college and prevented us from finding out our results until a bit after 12 today (most other colleges got their results on Monday).

I'm a bit disappointed in myself, actually, and so is my Physics lecturer: we'd both been expecting me to get an A for Physics, but I got a B instead. While still respectable, it's not what I'd hoped for; but since it doesn't require me to repeat the papers, I'm satisfied.

Right now I can only supply overall grades, since my paper-by-paper breakdown will only arrive on the 17th, so here:

Math... a
Bio.... a
Chem... b
Phy.... b

It's lovely symmetry, and it also provides me with extra gloating ammunition to use against my classmates, who (as far as I know) all scored lower than I did. Of course, since they don't give a whit about such trifling things as grades, these results aren't worth much.

It's not like I'm going to shoot to sudden popularity or anything, so... well, it'll give my mom something to talk about besides my wastage of money (refer to the post (Spend)Thrifty for details).

Gambler also got 2 a's, but she got a C (she takes one subject less than I do), so I've managed to keep Moon and Pick Lint happy, since all they wanted was for me to be able to squash Gambler at need. Right now Gambler is busy flashing me the bird with both hands whenever she can.

Cheeky didn't get particularly stellar results: in fact, nobody in my class got very good results, so I'd better not comment in case they take umbrage and bully me into treating them to pizza again. Tee Four got straight a's, though. More power to her!

Sue Me and the Hanky deserve special mention here, because they got abcd and bcde in their results respectively. It takes special skill to get results in that kind of order, I tell ya. I've never been able to do it myself.

(Incidentally, I've noticed that in any official examination, I've never gotten results that stray out of A and B territory. They never stray into straight-A territory, either, so I suppose that makes me a slightly-better-than-average crammer. What, you think I study? ...yes, I do, actually, but only when nobody's looking. I have a reputation as the Master of Laziness to keep up, you know.)

Naturally, Niche doesn't think too highly of my results. He's aiming for straight A's himself, and I think he has a chance to getting them if I don't disrupt his psyche too much. So far he's shown a disconcerting tendency to get straight A's in school exams,which I found out when I bet him a can of carbonated water per paper on which he got 95% or above. Why is it that I always lose my bets?

Actually we're producing quite a bit of friction with each other, between my resistance to all his attempts to make me more hardworking and tidy, and his resistance to all my attempts to liven up the room a bit with card games and anime episodes and various insect experiments on the tabletops.

In fact, by now I'm almost certain he's Melancholy Choleric. He's hardwworking, tidy, and he makes lists of almost everything imaginable--that's the Melancholy side. And he's somewhat musical, too. The Choleric side? He likes thinking that he can control everything in the room, plus he tries to "improve" everything around him. At least, that's my conjecture so far.

I myself am completely unsure. I think I'm Choleric since I never like losing an argument and I also like controlling others, plus I enjoy sarcasm. Melancholy? I do get depressed on occasion, but so far I don't see any sign of latent genius or musical prodigy that Melancholies are supposed to exhibit. (Van Gogh and Beethoven are two classic examples. Both made great art and both died depressed.)

But it's definite that we're both Cholerics, since we both belittle each other and we keep up an ongoing argument in the room. It usually revolves around my requests for Bleach anime or his mp3 and his demands for me to shut up and study. So far neither of us has acceded to the other, except (in some small measure) the mp3, and even then I can only use it when he's not studying.

Since his life is basically eat, sleep, school, study, and hamster care, I don't listen to the mp3 at all these days; but I've managed to wheedle permission to watch a few hours of Bleach on his laptop, if I don't spill water on it or scratch its screen or somehow damage its internal circuits or...

Did I mention he's fiercely protective of his belongings? I'm planning to give him a boxful of Do Not Touch stickers for his birthday, whenever that is. I bet they'll be used up in three or four days... wait a minute, I'd better not bet. (Pun intended.)

So these are my results. I have been warned by several people that everything I say about them can and will be considered gloating, so I'm not going to say much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next Last Post

Memoriam the Second

Panthera Sapiens: A Pie ('Nuff Said about that)