Jarring Hamsters

I forgot to post about this yesterday, but my roommate bought hamsters on Saturday and smuggled them into the hostel on Sunday night in a little box.

The box is marked "These are not [Panthera Sapiens'] toys", and it's a reference to the fact that most animals who come near me seem to have a relatively low life expectancy. It's also perfectly unjustified. How am I supposed to know if lizards can swim unless I experiment with them?

(For the record, they do swim, but weakly, and they usually drown around the tenth minute or so.)

Anyway, Niche has pampered his hamsters to an amazing extent. Their little box is a nice calming shade of blue, and he built a mini tunnel out of Lego for them to run in. Plus he used more Lego to make a house for them, with doors, and it's even got a slope for a porch that can be raised or lowered (by us, not the hamsters).

And the entire box is smothered in wood shavings. Plus he added a water dispenser and a food dish. I tell you, those hamsters would have the perfect life if I weren't around to make sure they received their daily dosage of terror and insanity.

I'll just say that I managed to catch them both in a little plastic jar and bop them around in it until they looked a little dizzy last night. Of course, catching them wasn't easy since all the stuff Niche added has made the box quite a labyrinth. The kind of place that makes ideal hiding spots for hamsters on the run from big grabbing fingers (and a plastic jar), so I had to remove it all and put it back later.

The hamsters learned a new trick after I let them see the room from one foot up: they climb the walls whenever I look at them. It's amazing the things you can make animals do with the proper training and upbringing, isn't it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next Last Post

Memoriam the Second

Panthera Sapiens: A Pie ('Nuff Said about that)