Shuttered Out

Both Marsh and Easy Kill have made statements to the effect that I appear to be completely relaxed and stress-free. I didn't know that--and in any case anybody who reads this should know by now that I worry too much about too many things... apparently neither of them reads, though. Easy Kill spends a lot of time online and Marsh... well, Marsh is going the way of Gene.

Apparently my habit of sleeping through uninteresting classes (Economics and Chemistry, so far) has given them the erroneous impression that I'm perfectly able to cope with anything the professors happen to throw at us in the way of information, and now they seem to regard me as some sort of incredibly lazy demi-genius. I had to shatter that impression, but it made me wonder how I gave it off in the first place...

It's easy to see that Marsh is stressed out; he insists on telling everybody he meets that "it's all about the effort you put in", that "school is difficult", that "he's stupid", that "everybody else in the school is so d**ned smart"... and I've heard all those a thousand times already, in practically the same few words. And he carries his notes around everywhere, reading and studying and making little notes, and all one has to do to set him off on the above litany is to say "hi". It gets quite annoying from the sheer repetitiveness, but I suppose he doesn't have a blog to rant at.

And... well, he's starting to go the way of Gene. And Psycho. By which I mean that he states his opinions very forcefully, very repetitively, and with an air of if-you-don't-agree-then-you're-wrong. I greatly dislike his lack of any uncertainty in his speech, but there simply isn't a tactful way to rip him apart. I suppose he finds that I use too many "maybe"s and "perhaps"es to suit him, but then there're almost always unknown factors in any decision... Plus, somehow, he seems to think of himself as entitled to... something from me. I don't know what.

Apparently he thinks my outward relaxedness is license for him to order me about--he seems to think he can dictate when I go back to KL; he as good as ordered me to send an email to a lecturer about an upcoming assignment; he phoned me to complain when he sent a message to me via MSN and I didn't reply, and then hung up--what the heck?!; and he seems to think that if I don't agree with him about how to improve said assignment, I had better go join another group. To all of which I say pfft--my life is not his to command. In fact if he continues to think that his appearance of busy-ness gives him the right to order his less-busy-seeming friends around, he might find that said friends happen to have a life of their own, quite apart from obeying him. In fact said friends just might decide that he needs a good tongue-lashing...

Just because he wears his stressed-ness on his sleeve, and I don't, doesn't mean I have no worries. Just because I don't complain all the time doesn't mean I have no complaints. Just because I smile doesn't mean I'm happy. Just because I respond mildly to his foul language and ill-temper doesn't mean I'm going to put up with it. I don't want to cut him down, but he's showing a lot of his bad side these days and my hands are itching for a nice cane to get his good side back out.

...on a side note, my Math quiz results came back today, and I got 16 marks below the average score (about 22% less). It's very demoralising... I really ought to study more and harder. After all the next quiz is in a month's time...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next Last Post

Memoriam the Second

Panthera Sapiens: A Pie ('Nuff Said about that)