More Madness

This is the continuation of the post below, so be prepared for a nice long read. Then again, if you weren't prepared, you'd've run far away by now so...

This week has been quite mad so far, and it's only Tuesday. Actually the main reason for this would be that last week was the fair for all the extra-curricular activities. Unlike in secondary school, such activities are nearly completely dissociated from the University--which means the students are solely responsible for what happens in the club. (Within limits, naturally.)

Which also means that the clubs all have registration fees and posts to be filled and various other little things that I've never encountered before... Anyway, I joined a few clubs, and so far I've had an audition (for the Piano Ensemble) which I flubbed badly but still managed to pass somehow; two interviews for main committe posts (both of which are Publicity Officer, in Piano Ensemble and in Mensa); and tomorrow is another interview (Publications) with the Current Affairs Society.

Actually it's all hedging bets: I absolutely need at least one main committee position, so I'm hoping to get at least one of the above; in the event that I get more than one, I shall have to do some rapid but gracious emailing saying that I'd like to take it, but circumstances force me to decline the oh-so-generous offer...

(Speaking of which, maybe I shouldn't be posting this up. Some committee member just might Google me and find this.)


And homework certainly is picking up; Maths has gone to a level at which I had better start slogging at it or I might never catch up and Cell/Molecular Biology is beginning to drown me in new names, terms, processes, and various other cell-related stuff. Those diagrams we got in Form 4 certainly were simplistic beyond belief.

In fact I haven't been able to play MapleStory without guilt since last Saturday--which effectively means I haven't played MapleStory since last Saturday. (I have played DotA, though.) For some reason I keep worrying about Math and the various tutorials... fortunately there's a six-hour break between my two classes tomorrow--whatever were the office thinking?--so I can take the time to catch up.

Especially since there's a workaholic genius whom I've gotten to know, and he's quite open to answering questions.

In any case the audition for the Piano Ensemble went off well, despite my butchering Burgmuller's l'Arabesque and the sight-reading piece they gave me. I think I was their good deed for the day--you know, like the blind guy whom you help across the road just because you want to preserve your self-image as a nice person. And to think I'd spent a couple hours listening to it on YouTube too.

But they told me I've got to practice for at least 20 minutes every Tuesday. I said sure, but I was whooping internally--I could play three times that and not feel abused! A guaranteed half-hour of practice every week is a lot better than what I used to have... and besides, if they don't mind teaching me some new stuff, I'm certain I'll improve somehow. Slowly, to be sure, if at all; but I want to improve.

I wonder if Marsh will go the way of Gene--I hope not, of course, but they do have their similarities. Both, for example, seem to not mind talking to pretty much any random stranger on the street. Both have something of a sadistic tendency. And both get driven mad by my style of speech. (So far Marsh has bitten off about five or six "eff"s in my presence.)

But if he does... well, we'll see. Hopefully I've improved since Gene--but my experience with the Brats suggests that when it comes to dealing with people I find obnoxious, caveman tactics (instant violence--just add bloodlust) are still my weapon of choice. It's definitely about time I started refining my methods.

In any case I shan't look so pessimistically to the future. It's somewhat bright at the moment; clouds will come, of course, but God help me, I shall prepare umbrellas--or dance in the rain.

(By-the-bye, if I had to choose, I'd say I'm most attached to water. Swimming is just great fun; unlike sports which require locomotion on land like running. I still don't understand why Marsh likes jogging so; but his sensitivity to chlorine means he's never had a good swim, so I guess he doesn't know what he's missing.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next Last Post

Memoriam the Second

Panthera Sapiens: A Pie ('Nuff Said about that)